COLONTOWN Community Guidelines
COLONTOWN DOWNTOWN is the organizing principle for the secular and apolitical community of NEIGHBORHOODS, GROUPS & SUBURBS that surround the human issues of colorectal disease and cancers.
The COLONTOWN COMMUNITY is the survivor-initiated, patient-friendly, caretaker-welcoming, taboo-breaking, myth-busting COMPASSIONATE & HOSPITABLE GLOBAL COMMUNITY… beloved by those who belong.
COLONTOWN is supported by the COLON CANCER ALLIANCE (CCA), based in Washington, DC.
All new members are asked to read and respect our guidelines:
- COLONTOWN has been created as a peer support network for those experiencing colorectal disease as a patient, caregiver, and/or survivor.
- The only required membership for participating in COLONTOWN neighborhoods is a simultaneous membership in COLONTOWN DOWNTOWN.
- Removal from the entire community can be the consequence of a blatant disregard of the expectations and/or traditions. Removal of disrespectful posts and the poster – with no notice – can be a consequence.
- Our communities are made up of a diverse mix of races, creeds, nationalities, religions, and political views. Our focus is to provide support for those affected by the diseases of each specific community; mutual support for others is our common bond. Please keep your focus on what we have in common.
- In DOWNTOWN COLONTOWN and its NEIGHBORHOODS, we prohibit discussion of religion or politics in most of our many groups. Religious and political proselytizing anywhere in COLONTOWN is not allowed. We ask that you keep the specifics of your own religion and politics to yourself, in respect for the very diverse community that gathers here. Refrain from using terminology that suggests religiosity of any type; eg, “prayers offered” on behalf of others and/or “thanking God” for a good outcome, etc.
Please note: We encourage use of the COLONTOWN SPIRITUAL CENTRE for all spiritual discussions and religious prayers offered. For our atheist, agnostic, questioning community members, we offer the religion-free HUMANIST HALL group.
- We maintain the right and obligation – on behalf of our entire community – to review and delete posts (and entire discussion threads) whose content prompts stated objection from any other member of the community.
- All posts should be supportive and/or useful to the community as a whole. Negative posts about COLONTOWN in other related support communities will be noted, and the offender can be removed without notice from the privilege of membership in COLONTOWN.
- Personal attacks will not be tolerated; COLONTOWN members who perpetrate attacks on others will be removed from the community.
- Self-promotion, and the sale of products and/or advertisements are prohibited. DO NOT TRY TO SELL ANYTHING in any of our COLONTOWN GROUPS.
- Posting personal blogs (when used instead of posting verbal discussions) is not allowed, and blogs posted may be removed. Our intent is to provide a platform for continuing and on-going discussions and back-and-forth conversations.
- Promotion for fundraising/events for other organizations is prohibited.
- Discussion of politics is not allowed except in the case of legislation directly affecting the residents of COLONTOWN and its suburbs (i.e., funding for screening and research). Specific permission must be sought and granted in writing from the Founding Mayor if there is a wish to discuss in a post any relevant, health-related legislation.
- Continued promotion of any “cure” or choice – as the only way – is not allowed. Posts of this nature will be removed at the discretion of the Leadership (Mayor and Leaders of the COLONTOWN CITY COUNCIL).
- Dual accounts (couples) are never allowed in COLONTOWN and are not allowed in any of our TOPIC-SPECIFIC NEIGHBORHOODS. Profiles bearing avatars, pseudonyms, or false names will not be admitted as members to any of our COLONTOWN groups or neighborhoods.
Please be always respectful of all in all conversations.